âShow Table of Contents
The User Settings window contains options for configuring workflow appearance and system resource usage to optimize performance.
System resource usage can be configured in three different areas: User Settings, System Settings, and Workflow Configuration. Settings configured in User Settings override settings in System Settings, and settings in Workflow Properties override settings in User Settings and System Settings.
To edit settings click through the tabs and edit settings as desired, then click Apply.
The Defaults tab lists the Alteryx default runtime settings. The System Settings section shows settings configured in System Settings.
On the Dataset Defaults tab, you can set your default datasets for all tools that require an installed dataset. When the tool uses a dataset, the dataset you selected will be used. If you have not installed a dataset, you will not have an option to select.
- Behavior Analysis: Select the default dataset to be used by tools in the Behavior Analysis category. See Tools.
- Demographic Analysis: Select the default dataset to be used by tools in the Demographic Analysis category. Tools.
- Drivetime: Select the default dataset to be used by tools that calculate drivetimes. See Distance Tool, Find Nearest Tool, and Trade Area Tool.
- Geocoder: Select the default dataset to be used when geocoding. See Street Geocoder Tool and US Geocoder Tool.
- Reference Base Map: Select the default base map for mapping. See Map Input Tool, Browse Tool, Report Map Tool.
- Default Location for Map Input/Question: Click Set Location to position the map bounds. This is the default view for the Map Input Tool.
The Canvas tab lists the settings that control the appearance of items on the canvas including the workflow background, tool connections, and annotations.
- Type: Select the type of connection.
- Auto Route Bezier: (default) Draws connections with curves.
- Auto Route Perpendicular: Draws connection with perpendicular bends.
- Straight: Draws connection with straight lines.
- Lines: Click to select the color of the connection line.
- Progress: Select when to show the progress of workflow processing. Progress displays the record count
and the total record size of data
passing through each connection, and the
line width adjusts to the data passing through it.
For more on connections, see Connection
The Advanced tab lists settings related to memory usage which affects program performance.
- Undo Levels: Type or click to set the number of actions Alteryx remembers and allows you to undo. The default value is 10. Increasing the value negatively impacts performance.
- Disable Auto Configure: Select this option to manually configure tools in a workflow. With this option selected, press the F5 key to manually refresh tool configurations. This option may optimize performance.
- Display XML in Properties Window: Select to view the XML of the configuration for each tool in a workflow.
- Display Asset Management in Properties Window: Select to view the file dependencies or assets for each tool in a workflow.
- Help Source: Click to select the source of Help. The default option, Auto-Detect, displays online Help when internet is available and displays offline Help when internet is not available.
Alteryx automatically saves at least one of the files being processed in a workflow. Go to File > Open AutoSaved Files to view auto-saved files.
- Autosave Interval in Minutes: Type or click to set the time Alteryx waits before saving automatically saving a file. The default is 10.
- Autosave per File: Type or click to set the number of times a file is saved before it is saved again as a new version. The default is 3.
- Days to Keep Autosave Files: Type or click to set the number of days to keep auto-saved file.
Tool Results Settings
These settings control the size of the data that displays in the Results window for each output anchor in a workflow.
- Override System Settings: Select to edit the default setting.
- Memory Limit per Anchor: Select to set a memory limit per anchor. Then, type or click to set the memory limit value in KB. The default value is 1024 KB (1 MB).
- Enable Proxy Credentials: Select to use a proxy to access the internet instead of directly connecting to an internet host. The following tools and connections will work with a proxy: Download tool, Amazon Redshift Bulk loader, Amazon S3 Upload tool, Amazon S3 Download tool, and HDFS connections via the Input Data, Output Data, Data Stream In, and Write Data In-DB tools.
You must manually configure a proxy in order to use this setting.
To set up a proxy go to Network and internet settings on your computer, or Internet Options in Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer, Internet Options, click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings and deselect Automatically Detect Settings, then select Proxy Server.
After setting up a proxy, select Enable Proxy Credentials and click Configure.
- Confirm the correct proxy is selected.
- Select Proxy requires password.
- Type credentials in Username and Password.
- Click OK.
Admins can configure a proxy in System Settings. Go to Options > Advanced Options > System Settings > Engine > Proxy.
On the Macros tab, you can create a repository of macros and set a default location to save macros. Alteryx displays the macros in the Tool Palette for you to use in building workflow.
Each macro must have a unique name.
To add a path to the repository:
- Click .
- In Category Name, type a name. The default name is Macros.
- Click to browse to the location where you save macros on your computer or a network.
Any macro .yxmc file in the selected location will display in the tool category on the Tool Palette.
Sub-folders in a search path cannot be added individually if their parent folder already exits in the Macros repository.
To set a default repository location:
- Click the repository search path in the list.
- Click Set as Default. An asterisk (*) displays next to the default repository.
Â©2017 Alteryx, Inc., all rights reserved. AllocateÂ®, AlteryxÂ®, GuzzlerÂ®, and SolocastÂ® are registered trademarks of Alteryx, Inc.