Customize the User Interface
The Alteryx user interface is customizable. Windows can be moved, re-sized, reorganized, or closed. For more information regarding the specific functions of the each window, see the User Interface page.
To customize the layout of the user interface, click and hold the left mouse button to grab a window. When you drag the window arrows appear on the top, sides, and center of the user interface. When you slide the window over the arrows a "shadow" of the window displays, indicating the size and location where it will move.
Customize the window layout
There are three icons on the right side of the title bar of each window.
Window State: The drop-down arrow provides options for displaying a particular window. Options include:
- Floating: The window floats on top of the interface. To re-dock the window, right click the window name and select Dockable, or select the Dock button. The window returns to the last docked position.
- Dockable: This is the default selection. It indicates the window can be docked to the interface.
- Tabbed Document: Selecting this option places the window as a tabbed document in the workflow canvas area. Right-click the window name to view the menu options.
- Auto-Hide: The window is hidden behind a tab in the same panel of its last docked location. You can view the window by hovering your cursor over the tab.
- Hide: This option removes the window from view. From the View menu, select the window to display it again.
- Dock to: This option docks the window to different areas of the interface. Options include: Left, Right, Top, Bottom.
Pin: The Pin button auto-hides the window behind a tab. You can view the window by hovering your cursor over the tab.
Close: Clicking the Close button removes the window from view. To display the window again, select the window from the View menu.
Save the window layout settings
Designer saves your final configuration by Default. Go to Options > User Settings > Save Layout & Settings on Exit to deselect this option. You can than manually save your preferred layout using Options > User Settings > Save Layout & Settings Now.
To re-dock the windows to their default positions, go to Options > User Settings > Restore Defaults. The user interface defaults to the original display configuration from the initial install; any customization settings, such as canvas or connection settings or default databases, are also set to the default from the original install.