Location Optimizer Macro
The Location Optimizer Macro is a macro that runs in multiple iterations determining the best locations to add or remove from a location network. You are able specify how many locations you would like to add to the network, specify the optimization level, and then have it randomly seed or specifically seed the iterations.
Say you have 100 demand locations and would like to isolate the top 4 based on a specific value, the iterative process is such that the entire incoming data stream is processed in groups of 4 to identify the locations with the highest combined score. The user controls how many iterations to run via the Speed/Optimization setting.
Access Macro properties
Location Optimizer macro properties only display on the Test tab in the Interface designer. The contents of the Test tab cannot be edited from the Interface Designer.
Design a Location Optimizer Macro
- Set your workflow to be a Location Optimizer workflow.
- In the Configuration window, select the Worflow tab.
- Under Type, select Macro. Set the dropdown to Location Optimizer Macro.
Configure the Location Optimizer properties, found in the Interface Designer Window (Ctrl+Alt+D) or accessed from the View menu. Click the wrench icon to view the Properties.
- Potential Locations Input: Select the input tool in the workflow that contains the potential locations for analysis.
- Score Output: From the drop down, select the Output Data tool in the workflow that contains the value you are scoring on.
- Choose optimization for either a high score or a low score. If a high score is more desirable, select Optimize for High Score. If a low score is more desirable, select Optimize for Low Score.
- Save your workflow.
Once the Workflow is saved as an Location Optimizer Macro, each tool in the workflow gets a lightning bolt anchor . Only Interface Tools can connect to these anchors. This anchor indicates that there are Interface elements and actions updating a workflow tool.
Configure a Location Optimizer Macro
- To use a Location Optimizer macro in a workflow, either:
- Right click on the canvas and choose Insert > Macro... and browse to the file location of the desired Macro or
- Drag the macro from the Tool Palette to the canvas. You can specify macro directories to display in the Tool Palette from Options > User Settings > Edit User Settings. You can create Macro repositories from the Macro tab. See User Settings.
- Use the up/down arrows to specify the Number of Locations to Add. This will be the number of location records returned.
- Set the Speed/Optimization. Choices are:
- Fast: Speed optimization. The workflow will run fastest with this setting, but accuracy may be compromised.
- Balanced: This setting will balance speed and accuracy. The workflow will run slower then the fast setting, but be more accurate.
- Accurate: This setting will produce the most accurate results, but speed will be compromised.
- Custom: set your own speed optimization.
- Use the up/down arrows to set the n percent within n generations
- Automatic: a random seed is used. You can expect results to vary from one run to the next.
- Specific: This guarantees the same data, same seed and same results each time the workflow is run.
- Seed: specify any random number.