The expression editor uses functions to build expressions that perform a variety of calculations and operations.
The following tools have an expression editor: Action Tool, Charting Tool, Condition Tool, Dynamic Rename Tool, Error Message Tool, Generate Rows Tool, Message Tool, Multi-Field Formula Tool, Multi-Row Formula Tool, Report Map Tool, Table Tool, Test Tool. Tools that use an expression editor have an additional input anchor, the Question anchor, when the tool is used in an app or macro workflow. Use the Interface tools to connect to a Question anchor when you want question values to be used as variables in the expression. See Interface Tools.
The expression editor in the Formula Tool looks and behaves differently than the expression editor in other tools, but the functions perform the same in any tool.
Build an expression
Use any of these methods to build an expression:
- Type directly in the expression editor.
- Click Variables to browse through variables that can be used in the expression. Double-click the variable to add it to the expression editor.
- Fields: Data from an incoming connection, or from a column created in a previous expression.
- Connections from Questions: Values from an Interface tool connected to the Question anchor of a tool with an expression editor, when the tool is used in an app or macro. Use the Question anchor when you want question values to be used as variables in the expression. See Interface Tools.
- Constants: Global variables for a workflow that make it possible to change a value in a single location and have that change apply to the rest of the workflow. See Constants.
- Click Functions to browse through categories of functions. Double-click the function to add it to the expression editor. See Functions.
- Click Saved Expressions to browse through recent and saved expressions. Double-click the expression to add it to the expression editor.
- With an expression in the expression editor, click Save.
- Type a name for the expression and click OK.