The Sample tool limits the data stream to a specified number, percentage, or random set of the rows.
Configure the tool
- Select the type of sample. The options are:
- First N Records: Returns the records in the table up to the specified N record.
- Last N Records: Returns the records in the table starting with the specified N record.
- Skip 1st N Records: Returns all records after the specified N record, skipping all records before and including N.
- 1 of every N Records: Returns the first record of every specified N record.
- Random 1 in N Chance for each Record: Randomly selects a record of every specified N record. Designer is using truly random methodology, therefore N is merely an approximation.
- First N% of Records: Returns the specified N percent of records. Selecting this option requires the data to pass through the tool twice: once to calculate the count of records and then to return the specified percent of records.
Random sample output
If you have 1000 records and select a random sample, and specify N as 10, you expect to get 100 records returned, but because the sampling is random, you may get anywhere between 75 and 150 records returned.