Text To Columns Tool
The Text To Columns tool takes the text in one column and splits the string value into separate, multiple columns (or rows), based on a single or multiple delimiter(s).
Configure the tool
- Select the Field to Split.
Delimiters: Enter the delimiter (s) to use to split the data on. Each character is treated independently. You can type the character in this space or use the following:
\t Tab \n New line \s Space \s\t Space or Tab
- Choose your method for splitting:
- Split to Columns: Split a single column of data at each instance of the specified delimiter into multiple columns.
- # of Columns: Set how many columns are created.
- Extra Columns: Select the behavior that is applied to extra columns.
- Leave Extra in Last Field: Data that extends past the split is appended to the value in the last column.
- Drop Extra with Warning: Data that extends past the split is dropped and a warning is generated indicating that there was excess information.
- Drop Extra without Warning: Data that extends past the split is dropped and no warning is generated.
- Error: Data the extends past the split causes an error and the workflow stops processing.
- Output Root Name: Enter the name for the newly generated columns to be based off of. The new columns are named as the root name with a serially increasing integer appended.
- Split to Rows: Split a single column of data at each instance of the specified delimiter into multiple rows. Use a key column in your record so you don't lose track of which value came from which row.
Advanced Options: Select delimiters to ignore. Options include:
- Ignore Delimiters in Quotes
- Ignore Delimiters in Single Quotes
- Ignore Delimiters in Parenthesis
- Ignore Delimiters in Brackets
- Skip Empty Fields