Workflows (including Analytic Apps and Macros) can be encrypted so that they can be run, but not opened and edited in Alteryx Designer. When you open an encrypted workflow or macro you get a message that it cannot be edited. When you open an Analytic App, the app interface displays. Once a workflow has been encrypted, the encryption cannot be undone.
Workflows can be encrypted via the Encrypt Workflow option in the menu or the Command Line, as well as while they are being saved to a Gallery or exported to a file package.
The encryption algorithm used in Designer may change at any time.
Encryption from the menu
Click Options > Advanced Options > Encrypt Workflow to open the Encrypt window.
- Output Location: Click Browse to navigate to the location to save the encrypted workflow.
- Restrict use to specific serial numbers (one per line): Optionally enter a list of the serial numbers. Only users with a listed serial number are able to use the encrypted workflow. List each unique serial number on its own line.
- Set expiration date for encrypted workflow: Optionally select a date. The encrypted workflow will expire on the date specified, preventing the workflow from being run or used anymore.
Analytic App and Macro workflows can be encrypted via the command line using the following parameters:
AlteryxEngineCmd /Encrypt myworkflow.yxwz Output.yxwz
- AlteryxEngineCmd: Refers to AlteryxEngineCmd.exe. This file is found in the Alteryx install directory Program Files\Alteryx\bin.
- /Encrypt: The command argument to encrypt the workflow. It will take the specified workflow and make an encrypted copy of it.
- myworkflow.yxwz: The workflow you want to encrypt. This needs to be the full, absolute path to the workflow.
- Output.yxwz: The copy of the original workflow in its encrypted state. This needs to be the full, absolute path to the workflow.
[CommaSeparatedSerialNumbers]: Pass a list of serial numbers for the encrypted workflow to work on. This is an exclusive list and the encrypted workflow only works with one of the provided serial numbers.
AlteryxEngineCmd /Encrypt myworkflow.yxwz Output.yxwz serial1, serial2, serial3
[ExpirationDate]: Specify when an encrypted workflow expires.
AlteryxEngineCmd /Encrypt myworkflow.yxwz Output.yxwz serial1, serial2, serial3 yyyy-mm-dd
If no serial numbers are included, separate the parameters with quotes.
AlteryxEngineCmd /Encrypt myworkflow.yxwz Output.yxwz "" yyyy-mm-dd