Connect to a SQL Server Database
This procedure describes the easiest method for connecting to a SQL Server database. If you do not have the appropriate SQL Server driver installed, Designer prompts you to install it.
- Drag an Input Data Tool or Output Data Tool onto the canvas and select it.
- In the Configuration window, click the drop-down arrow and select Microsoft SQL Server.
- Designer checks your system for a SQL Server driver.
- If a driver for connecting to SQL Server is already installed, the SQL Server Database Connection window displays. Proceed to the next step.
- If the SQL Server driver is not installed, you are provided a link to install it. For driver information, see Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016.
If no driver is detected, Designer provides a link to install SQL Server Native Client 11. However, if you have a more recent driver installed (for example, ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server), Designer uses the most recent driver for this connection. To use a newer driver with an existing connection created with an older driver, you must delete and re-add the connection from the Manage Data Connections.
- You can view and select any System connection or any User connection created by you.
- Data Source Name (DSN) connections configured in the ODBC driver are not listed. To configure ODBC and OLEDB connections, see ODBC and OLEDB Database Connections.
- When you select an existing connection, you can modify all connection properties except Type.
- If you are an administrator user, you can modify any System connection or any User connection created by you.
- If you are a non-administrator user, you can only modify User connections created by you.
- If you modify a connection property (for example, Host), you will need to re-enter your password.
- User: Creates a connection that only you can use. User connections are visible only by the user who created them.
- System: Selectable only by administrator users. Creates a connection for any user on a machine. System connections are visible by all users.
A network search for SQL Server hosts takes time to execute and may not return a complete list of hosts. If you know the name of the host, Alteryx recommends specifying it manually.
See Manual connection setup for more information on authentication requirements.
- To use the default database as configured by your server administrator, leave the drop-down unselected.
- To override the default, select a database from the list.
Alternate SQL Server connection methods
For ODBC and OLEDB connection instructions, see ODBC and OLEDB Database Connections.