Find Replace Tool
The Find Replace tool searches for data in one text field from an input table and replaces it with specified text field data from a reference table.
The Find Replace tool has two inputs:
- F anchor: The left input is the initial input table stream "F" - for "Find." This is the table to be updated with the results.
- R anchor: The right input is the lookup table "R" - for "Replace." This is the table containing data used to replace data in (or append data to) the original input.
Configure the tool
- Choose the radio button that best describes the part of the field containing the value to find:
- Beginning of Field: Searches for the instance of the field value in the beginning of the field, meaning the entire field does not have to only contain what is being searched for.
- Any Part of Field: Searches for the instance of the field value in any part of the field, meaning the entire field does not have to only contain what is being searched for.
- Entire Field: Searches for the instance of the field value contained within the entire field. So the instance MUST be there in its entirety to be replaced with the new value.
- Case Insensitive Find:This option will ignore the case in the search.
- Match Whole Word Only: This option will only match a string if there are spaces around it or it is at the beginning or end of the field.
You can choose to replace or append data in the table using the following radio buttons:
- Replace Found Text With Value:
- Choose the field from the reference table (R input) to use to update the original table (F input) Find Within Field.
- Optionally select Replace Multiple Found Items (Find Any Part of Field only). This should only be used if you selected Any Part of Field from the first radio button.
- Choose this option to append a column populated with the lookup table (R input) data whenever the selected Find Value field data is found within the selected Find Within Field.
- Select the field(s) to append.