System Settings: Engine
In System Settings, on the Engine screens, configure the Engine component.
The Alteryx Engine consumes Alteryx workflows and provides high-speed data processing and analytics functionality. This process can be entirely self-contained in the Alteryx Designer, scaled across an organization by the Alteryx Service, or deployed in the cloud by the Alteryx Gallery.
The General screen includes configuration options such as where temporary files and log files should be stored and options for specifying system resource usage to optimize performance.
- Temporary Directory: Displays the path to the location where temporary files used in workflow processing are saved.
- Logging Directory: Displays the path to the location where output logs produced during workflow processing are saved. See Log Files.
- Package Staging Directory: Displays the path to the location where files associated with the workflow are temporarily saved when you edit workflows stored in a Gallery. By default, these files are written inside of the Engine Temporary Directory.
- Memory Limit per Anchor: Define the maximum amount of memory to use to consume data for each output anchor for tools in a workflow. The default value typically does not need to be changed.
- Default Sort/Join Memory Usage: Define the minimum amount of memory the Engine will use to perform sort and join operations in a workflow. Generally this value should not change.
- Default Number of Processing Threads: Define the number of processing threads tools or operations can use. The default value is the number of available processor cores plus one. Generally this value should not be changed.
- Allow Users to Override: Select to allow users to override the above settings. This allows users to define their own memory usage, processing, threads, etc. If not checked, the users assume the settings provided.
- Run Engine at a Lower Priority: Select if you are running other memory intensive applications simultaneously. It is also recommended that this setting be checked for a machine configured to run the Gallery.
- Allow User Alias to Override: Select to allow any user alias that is in the Alias Repository can take priority over a system alias.
Alteryx uses a proxy, if one is set up, to access the internet, rather than directly connecting to an internet host. These proxy credentials will be used by the Engine when running workflows in the Gallery or as a scheduled job.
If a proxy server has been set up, and a user name and password is required, then they can be entered on the Proxy screen. If a proxy server has not been set up, this screen does not display.
- Proxy requires password: Select this option to enter the Username and Password that are sent to the proxy for authentication.
Click Next, then Finish to complete System Settings configuration.
To complete the configuration, Alteryx restarts some services. If you have the Gallery or Scheduler services currently enabled and running, you may notice a brief outage. This may take a few moments.
See Administer Gallery.