Load Metadata from Microsoft Azure Data Catalog
Use the Microsoft Azure Data Catalog Loader to upload metadata to Alteryx Connect from a specified Microsoft Azure Data Catalog. You can upload metadata of glossary terms as well as data assets.
Review Loader Requirements
The Alteryx Connect Loaders must be installed on the machine where Alteryx Server is installed. To install the loaders:
- Download the loaders installer. For compatibility, the Loaders installer version must match the Alteryx Connect version.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
Review Microsoft Azure Data Catalog requirements
Microsoft Azure Data Catalog apps are integrated with Microsoft Azure Active Directory to provide secure sign-in and authorization.
- Register your application with Microsoft Azure Active Directory using the Azure portal, designating your app as a Native app.
- Verify that you have an Application (Client) ID, Directory (Tenant) ID, username and password prepared for loader use.
Application parameters example
• Name: AzureDataCatalog
• Application (Client) ID:
• Directory (Tenant) ID:
• Redirect URIs:
• Owners: Joe Smith
• Permissions: Microsoft Azure Data Catalog, Windows Azure Active Directory
Open the Loader
- Open Alteryx Designer.
- Click Help > Sample Workflows > Alteryx Connect Metadata Loaders > Azure Data Catalog Loader > Azure Data Catalog Loader.
Run the App
- Click Run as Analytic App .
- In the Azure Data Catalog tab, select an application for the loader to use and enter the following:
- Directory (Tenant) ID: The directory ID of your Native application for Azure Data Catalog.
- Application (Client) ID: The application ID of your Native application for Azure Data Catalog.
- Redirect URL: Specify Redirect URL for the application.
- Username & password: The credentials associated with the application.
In the Alteryx Connect tab, type the URL for your Alteryx Connect instance and your credentials.
Before running the app, click and save the app configuration to the following directory:
The .yxwv app values file is used for scheduling the loader to run in the Gallery. See Schedule Metadata Loaders.
- Click Finish to run the app.
- If the run succeeds, "Success" appears in the App Results window.
- If the run fails, a "There were Errors" message appears.
Depending on how much metadata is being imported, the app can take a long time to run.
View the Metadata
- Go to the Alteryx Connect URL and log in.
- From the main menu, click Data Sources > Databases.
- Select a folder to view its contents.