Zip File Support
Use the Input Data Tool to select one or more data files stored within a .zip file. The following file formats can be read from a .zip file:
- Streaming-compatible (read directly into memory): .avro, .csv, .json, .yxdb
- Not streaming-compatible (extracted to hard drive temporary location): .cydb, .dbf, .kml, .grc, .grd, .qvx, .sas7bdat, .sav, .sz, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xlsx (legacy), .xls, .xml
- If the files being extracted exceed 2GB, select the Allow Extraction of Files >2GB from the Input Data tool's Configuration pane.
- Zip files are not supported in Alteryx Gallery.
When you use a tool to connect to a .zip file, the Extract File window opens.
- Select File Type to Extract: Alteryx will scan all files within the .zip file and generate a list of discovered formats. Select the format for Alteryx to display in the Files list.
- Select Files: Select one or more files to bring in to Alteryx.
- You can select multiple files, but Alteryx can only parse the files in a single format.
- When you select multiple files, Alteryx will use the first file to determine the schema (number of fields, data types, etc.). For subsequent files, Alteryx performs the following validation:
- If the number of fields is not equal, the file is skipped and a warning is generated. If equal, the next check is performed.
- If the data types are not equal, the file is skipped and a warning is generated. If equal, the next check is performed.
- If the field names are not equal, the file will still be read, but a warning is generated.
- Click Open.
- Select Sheets from Excel Files: If you selected Excel files, select the sheets for Alteryx to read, and then click OK.
- To preview a file in a .zip file, click Update Sample in the Configuration window. The preview will only display if the .zip file contains a single .xlsx file with a single sheet.
Select Other Files to show a list of all files found within the .zip file, including files with no extension or an unrecognized extension (for example, .txt, .log).
Parse Other Files As: Specify the format for Alteryx to use to parse the selected files.
Use this syntax to configure analytic apps or macros to select multiple files from a .zip file:
- Separate files with a semicolon (;)
- Enclose sheet names in square brackets ([ ])
- Separate multiple sheets with a colon (:)