Text Input Tool
The Text Input tool makes it possible for the user to manually type text to create small data files for input, which can be useful in testing and creating Lookup tables while developing.
The data input from the Text Input tool saves within the workflow, so the workflow can be shared without having to provide an input data file.
Visit the Alteryx Community Tool Mastery series to learn even more about this and other tools.
Configure the tool
- Click on the cells to type in your data values. The tool will auto-configure based on the values you type in.
- You can rename Field Names by clicking on the header cells and typing in the box.
Within the Configuration Properties there is a menu that offers some user options. Options include:
- Import: Allows for browsing an existing data file. The user can then add columns or rows of data for manual data entry.
- Copy: Copies selected values onto the clipboard.
- Paste: Pastes values from the clipboard into a cell.
- Delete: Options include:
- All: Deletes all the data in the grid.
- Rows: Deletes the current, highlighted row(s).
- Column: Deletes the current, highlighted column(s).
- Insert: Options include Row or Column insertion.
The Text Input tool is limited to 1000 total cells on import. The user can then add cells.
Any blank cells come out as NULL values.
- TAB key moves the cursor into cells from Left to Right.
- SHIFT+TAB moves the cursor into cells from Right to Left.
- Up and DOWN Arrow keys move from the cursor into cells from row to row.
For information regarding Input, Output, Annotation and Error Properties, see Tool Configuration.