Several utilities are available to back up and restore data from Alteryx Server deployments using the embedded version of MongoDB. Use this backup functionality to recover from a system failure or data corruption or loss. You can also use restore options to roll back to past data.
Back up and restore data using the command line utilities available from the AlteryxService executable file (AlteryxService.exe). Because the database backup process requires Server to be shut down (disabling scheduling and Gallery functionality for several minutes), perform backups during off-peak times.
- Stop AlteryxService. Shutdown multiple machines in order—Gallery first, then Workers, and the Controller last.
- From the command line, navigate to the directory to store the backup.
- Execute the following command to save a backup of the database in the specified folder:
\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxService.exe emongodump=c:\temp\dumpOutput
- Restart AlteryxService. Restart multiple machines in reverse order—restart the Controller first, then Workers, and Gallery last.
Restore from a MongoDB Backup
- Stop AlteryxService.
- From the command line, navigate to the directory where the backup is located.
- Execute the following command to take the saved backup from the output folder and move it to the specified input folder:
\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxService.exe emongorestore=c:\temp\dumpOutput,c:\temp\restoreInput
- Restart AlteryxService.
Use a MongoDB Backup
- Open System Settings.
- Go to Controller > Persistence.
- In the Data Folder field, browse to the folder for the backup.
- Select Next to continue through the System Settings windows and restart the service. When the service starts it will run off the restored folder.