As a platform admin you control the platform settings. SMTP, Base Address, Run Settings, Sharing Settings, and Logging Level are described in this article. To access these settings, go to Platform Admin > Settings.
There are two ways to get to the Platform Admin site:
- Choose Platform Admin from the dropdown menu on the sign-in screen. Note that you only see a drop-down menu if you belong to more than one site.
- Select the site drop-down menu > Platform Admin from the top of any page in a site.
Alteryx Analytics Hub sends email notifications for various events such as creating a new user or requesting a password reset. To setup Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) on your server, sign in as Platform Admin on the platform site and go to Settings > General. Supported servers are Google and Microsoft Office 365.
Required mail server information:
- From Email (email address you want to use)
Check the box Use SMTP Authentication if your email server requires authentication. Check the box Use SSL/TLS Security if you want your emails to be encrypted. Test your connection with the Test button or send a test email.
Enter the URL you want to use for email notifications that link back to the platform. Alteryx Analytics Hub uses this URL in activation, notification, and password reset emails.
If SSL is enabled and your certificate is set to a different port than 443, specify the port in this field (for example, https://myaah.example.com:8443/aah for and SSL/TLS enabled installation that listens on port 445 instead of the standard 443). If you are installing this on a virtual machine, include the URL of the virtual machine.
To have workers automatically rerun a workflow one time after a failed attempt, check the option Retry workflows once after a failed run. This is in case of a server error, not a workflow configuration error. For example, a job is orphaned during execution, an engine worker dies or restarts in the middle of a run, or a job fails to update the job status.
To restrict sharing to owners only, check the option Only owners can share their assets. Files uploaded while this is checked can only be shared by their owners. These files retain this setting even if it's turned off later. Data sources follow this setting as it is updated. Setting affects all sites and users.
Alteryx Analytics Hub creates logs that are helpful for troubleshooting. The logging settings allow you to choose the threshold for the types of messages you want to capture. The default logging level is Debug. A level of Info may be sufficient if you need little logging, while a level of Debug logs more messages to help you troubleshoot.
Order of levels from least to most logs created:
- Error—Only logs errors and critical events
- Warning—Logs deprecation messages and more
- Info—Logs information that’s helpful to diagnose a running system (for example, platform started at 5:00pm, 5/20/20; running in prod mode)
- Debug—This is default level and very verbose. It’s useful to developers for debugging problems.
- Trace—Logs every action the system is taking.
To see, download, and refresh your log file, go to Platform Admin > Settings > Logging > View Most Recent Log File. To see older logs, go to your computer’s file browser and the file path you set or the default C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Alteryx Analytics Hub\Backend. Open the log in a text editor or spreadsheet.
Other Log Locations
- Worker log - C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\
- Frontend log - C:\INSTALL_LOCATION\Alteryx\Alteryx Analytics Hub\Frontend\
- Backend log - C:\INSTALL_LOCATION\Alteryx\Alteryx Analytics Hub\Backend
- Postgres log - C:\INSTALL_LOCATION\Alteryx\Alteryx Analytics Hub\Postgres\data\log
- License Server log - C:\INSTALL_LOCATION\Alteryx\Alteryx Analytics Hub\logs\als\
File size determines the maximum size of a log file before the logs rotate. This helps prevent the creation of large log files that can be difficult to consume in standard log readers.