Alteryx Server creates log files and saves them to a default location, or a location set in System Settings. Logs capture warnings and errors and can be used to investigate and diagnose issues. The logging level is set on the Controller screen in System Settings. See System Settings and Controller.
Use log files
Service and Gallery logs are the primary logs used for investigating issues. There are several basic steps you can to take to investigate logs and diagnose issues in Server.
- Locate and open the log in a text editor or Microsoft Excel.
- Search log entries for words such as Error, Alert, and Critical.
- Read the error description.
- Starting from the error, locate the point in the log where Server started ("AlteryxService starting").
- Scan for events before the error occurred to identify potential causes.
- Scan for events after the error occurred to identify potential consequences.
|Service logs||AlteryxServiceLog.log||C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service||Service logs contain communication between components and startup and shutdown of processes on the controller and worker machines. See Controller.|
|Gallery logs||alteryx-[year]-[month]-[date].csv||C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Gallery\Logs||Gallery logs contain Gallery processes and functions, including errors found when running an Analytic App that uses interface tools, and schedule migration records. See Gallery.|
|Engine logs||Alteryx_Log_[number].log||Must be set manually.||Engine logs contain the output of messages created when a workflow runs, as well as the time stamps when tools run in a workflow. See Engine.|
|UI error logs (can change)||[name].log||C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\ErrorLogs, the file may be located in a sub-folder||The UI error logs contain stack traces for errors.|