Load Metadata from Amazon Athena
Use the Athena Loader to upload metadata to Alteryx Connect from a specified Amazon Athena server.
Review Loader Requirements
The Alteryx Connect Loaders must be installed on the machine where Alteryx Server is installed. To install the loaders:
- Download the loaders installer. For compatibility, the Loaders installer version must match the Alteryx Connect version.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
Athena must be accessible via ODBC:
- Download and install the Athena ODBC driver from the Amazon portal.
- Configure and test a new DSN in the Windows ODBC Data Sources Administrator.
If you are unsure about the correct AWS Region, S3 Output Location or Authentication, contact your IT administrator.
There are strict restrictions for S3 Output Location as described in Bucket restrictions and limitations.
Open the Loader
- Open Alteryx Designer.
- Select Help > Sample Workflows > Alteryx Connect Metadata Loaders > Athena Loader > Athena Loader.
Run the App
- Select Run as Analytic App .
In the Athena server tab:
- Type the Athena connection information, including Athena Server (ODBC connection name), Athena Access Key, and Athena Secret.
In Databases to load, optionally specify a comma-separated list of databases. Leave blank to load all databases.
In the Alteryx Connect tab, type the URL for your Alteryx Connect instance and your credentials.
Before running the app, select and save the app configuration to the following directory:
The .yxwv app values file is used for scheduling the loader to run in the Gallery. See Schedule Metadata Loaders.
- Select Finish to run the app.
- If the run succeeds, "Success" appears in the App Results window.
- If the run fails, a "There were Errors" message appears.
Depending on how much metadata is being imported, the app can take a long time to run.
View the Metadata
- Go to the Alteryx Connect URL and log in.
- From the main menu, select Data Sources > Databases.
- Select a folder to view its contents.