One Tool Example
Histogram has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Histogram to produce a histogram for the empirical cumulative distribution of a single numeric field. The tool shows the frequencies of records falling in a set of continuous value ranges. Optionally, it provides a smoothed empirical density plot. Frequencies are displayed when a density plot is not selected, and probabilities when this option is selected. The number of breaks can be set by the user, or determined automatically using the method of Sturges.
This tool uses the R tool. Go to Options > Download Predictive Tools and sign in to the Alteryx Downloads and Licenses portal to install R and the packages used by the R tool. Visit Download and Use Predictive Tools.
Configure the Tool
Configure - Histogram Tab
- Select the field to use in the histogram: The numeric field (column) to plot.
- Manually set the number of breaks to use (optional): Select to provide the number of value ranges to use. Leave un-checked to have the number of ranges determined automatically using the method of Sturges.
- Plot a smoothed density curve: If this option is checked, then an empirical density plot is superimposed on the histogram. The density plot is generated using a kernel density estimator. The bandwidth used by the kernel density estimator can be narrowed or widened using the option Narrow (smaller number) or widen (larger number) the bandwidth used in the kernel density estimator. The default value is 1 but can be set from 0.1 to 3.
Graphics Options Tab
- Plot size: Specify the width and height dimensions of the resulting plot, using either inches or centimeters.
- Graph resolution: Select the resolution of the graph in dots per inch: 1x (96 dpi), 2x (192 dpi), or 3x (288 dpi).
- Lower resolution creates a smaller file and is best for viewing on a monitor.
- Higher resolution creates a larger file with better print quality.
- Base font size (points): The point size of the base font used to produce the title and labels of the plots to be produced. The plotting functions expand the size of the plot title to be larger than the base font automatically.
View the Output
An output stream with one record and two fields: Report which contains a graph, and Desc that has the value "Histogram", to assist in the development of specialized reports.