Blob Input Tool
One Tool Example
Blob Input has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Blob Input to read a Binary Large OBject like an image or media file, by browsing directly to a file or passing a list of files to read.
Configure the Tool
The Blob Input tool can either be an input tool or a pass-through tool where a list of files are passed to the tool and the tool reads them.
File Name: Specify the file name of the Blob to be read. All file types are supported.
- The incoming data stream should contain a list of files (Blobs) to be read.
- Specify the file name of the Blob to be read. All file types are supported. Alteryx replaces the string with the contents of the incoming stream.
- Modify File Name Using Optional Input: Select the appropriate action to replace the string specified in the file name above.
- Modify File Name
By:Choose the action to replace what was specified in the file name above. For example, the file name is set to .\data\images\image.png
- Appending Field To File Name: The contents of the specified field are added after the file name and before the extension. Using the example above, if the value of the specified field is apple, the resulting filename is .\data\images\imageapple.png
- Prepending Field To File Name: The contents of the specified field are added before the file name. If the value of the specified field is banana, the resulting filename is .\data\images\bananaimage.png
- Replacing File Name With Field: The contents of the specified field will be used as the file name before the extension. If the value of the specified field is grape, the resulting filename is .\data\images\grape.png
- Replacing Entire Path With field: The contents of the specified field will be used as the location directory, file name, and extension. If the value of the specified field is C:\Temp\rainbows_and_unicorns.jpg, the resulting filename
- Using This Field: Use the
dropdownlist to select the incoming field that contains the data replacement for the file name.
- Modify File Name
- Stop With Error If File Not Found: When checked, Alteryx throws an error if the file is not present. The error is Cannot access file: (path).
Pass-through Tool Configuration
- Specify the file name of the Blob to be read. All file types are supported.
Options:Provides options for handling large files.
- Split Blobs into Chunks: When checked, blobs are broken up into smaller blobs, or "chunks" and sent downstream as individual records. Each record contains this blob and also an additional field called "BlobNumber" which is the sequence number of each chunk. The first is 1, the second is 2, etc.
- Maximum Size of Chunks: Allows the size (KB) of each chunk that is created to be specified. If the original
blobthat is read is not an exact multiple of the chunk size, the final chunk is smaller than this size. If the original blob is smaller than the chunk size, it is output as a single blob and still has the "BlobNumber" field added to the record.