Load Metadata from Databricks
Use the Databricks Loader to upload metadata to Alteryx Connect from a specified Databricks server.
Review Loader Requirements
The Alteryx Connect Loaders must be installed on the machine where Alteryx Server is installed. To install the loaders:
- Download the loaders installer. For compatibility, the Loaders installer version must match the Alteryx Connect version.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
Databricks must be accessible via ODBC:
- Download and install the Apache Spark on Databricks ODBC driver from the Alteryx Driver Download page.
- Configure and test a new DSN in the Windows ODBC Data Sources Administrator. For more information, see Create an ODBC Database Connection within the Alteryx Designer Help.
If you are unsure about the correct host name and credentials, contact your IT administrator or check the connection details on Databricks under Compute > Select cluster > Configuration > Advanced options > JDBC > ODBC. For more information, visit the Databricks ODBC and JDBC drivers page.
Open the Loader
- Open Alteryx Designer.
- Select Help > Sample Workflows > Alteryx Connect Metadata Loaders > Databricks Loader > Databricks Loader.
Run the App
Select Run as Analytic App .
In the Databricks server tab:
- Type the Databricks connection information, including ODBC Connection string (ODBC DSN connection name, e.g., DSN=myDatabricksDSN), Databricks Username, and Databricks Password.
- For the ODBC Connection string, you can use:
- Pre-configured ODBC DSN (system or user), such as DSN=Databricks.
- Full connection string including driver name, host, port, and other additional parameters for the connection. For example: odbc:Driver=Simba Spark ODBC Driver;Host=inserthosthere;Port=443;SSL=1;Schema=default;HTTPPath=sql/protocolv1/o/0/0914-154522-ruled1;AuthMech=3;ThriftTransport=2;UseUnicodeSqlCharacterTypes=1;DefaultStringColumnLength=16777216;UID=token;
- You can also select and configure the Databricks workspace details in order to load workspace (files) details to Alteryx Connect.
In the Alteryx Connect tab, type the URL for your Alteryx Connect instance and your credentials.
Before running the app, select and save the app configuration to the following directory:
The .yxwv app values file is used for scheduling the loader to run in the Gallery. See Schedule Metadata Loaders.
- Select Finish to run the app.
- If the run succeeds, "Success" appears in the App Results window.
- If the run fails, a "There were Errors" message appears.
Depending on how much metadata is being imported, the app can take a long time to run.
View the Metadata
- Go to the Alteryx Connect URL and log in.
- From the main menu, select Data Sources > Databases or Data Sources > Files.
- Select a folder to view its contents.