Record ID Tool
One Tool Example
Record ID has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Record ID to create a new column in the data and assign a unique identifier, that increments sequentially, for each record in the data. The Record ID tool generates unique identifiers with numeric values or string values, based on the data type you select.
Use the Record ID tool to assign a sequence to the data. Sort the data in other columns and then return the data to its original order by sorting the values in the new Record ID column.
Configure the Tool
- To Create New Column...
- In Name, enter a name for the new column.
- In Starting Value, enter or select the value to display in the first record. The Record ID tool assigns that value and then increases the value sequentially for each record.
- Set these Options for your column:
- Use the Type dropdown to select a data type. If you select String, enter or select the size of the string in Size. If necessary, Designer adds leading zeros to the record to equal the string size you select.
- Use Position dropdown to select a position for your new column: First Column or Last Column.