Customer Managed Telemetry
This capability allows you to output a workflow telemetry log file after you upgrade to Alteryx 2021.4 (or higher). It enhances an organization’s ability to collect and record Designer usage data, down to the individual workflow run per user. You can use the data to perform internal product usage analysis.
Alteryx Protects Data Privacy
The resulting log files exported by Customer Managed Telemetry are not sent to Alteryx or consumed by Alteryx in any way. You can deploy Customer Managed Telemetry by editing administrator files as part of an Alteryx install. The use of this feature might subject administrators to obligations under local privacy laws. For example, the responsibility to disclose the collection of personal data. Alteryx does not require this feature to be turned on or control the use of this feature.
- Open the RunTime Setting file, typically located in C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\.
- Ensure you have edit permission to the RunTime Setting file.
- Add the below code to the XML file.
- You can set the file path to any existing path you want the XML to be stored. The example file below saves the files to a log folder within C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine.
- Also, note that the
EnableCustomerManagedTelemetrytag and associated file path should be on one line. Don't place the tag in another section.
<Telemetry> <EnableCustomerManagedTelemetry>C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Logs</EnableCustomerManagedTelemetry> </Telemetry>
4. Save your edits to the RunTime Setting file and restart Designer.
Once users run a workflow, a full XML record is captured and stored in the file path that you set.
Customer Managed Telemetry is intended to be flexible and supports a variety of use cases. In order to deliver usage information, you can set up Alteryx to log the underlying XML file of a workflow to a local or network file path. These XML header tags are represented at the top of the log file:
|TimeStamp||Timestamp that identifies when the workflow was executed. Timestamp is in UTC with this format: yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss'Z'.|
|UserEmail||The user email submitted at time of product activation.|
|MachineName||The machine hostname.|
|AlteryxGlobalUID||Unique Run ID.|
|WorkflowFilePath||Fully qualified path for the file that was run.|
|LicenseKey||The license key used to activate the product.|
- WorkflowFilePath does not record a value until a workflow has been saved.
- Ensure you have write-access to the file path specified in runtime settings to successfully turn on this feature.