Dynamic Replace Tool
One Tool Example
Dynamic Replace has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Dynamic Replace to allow the user to quickly replace data values on a series of fields, based on a condition. The data replacement can be based on formulas or static values.
Say you have a hundred different incoming fields and instead of the actual value in each field, you want to represent the number with a code of A, B, C, D, etc. that represents a range. The Dynamic Replace tool can easily perform this task.
- D anchor: The Data stream to be modified.
- R anchor: The Replacement data stream, which contains three columns used to configure the tool.
Configure the Tool
- Field Name Field: Select a column from the R data stream that contains field names from the D data stream.
- Boolean Expression Field: Select a column from the R data stream that contains an expression that is used to evaluate the data from the D data stream. The Boolean Expression field can accept any value other than zero.
Expressions are evaluated in sequence and stop at the first match. Therefore, an expression does not need to check for both ends of a range but does need to be in ascending order if evaluating a series of ranges.
Use _CurrentField_ to refer to the Field Name Field that is currently being processed if an expression is used for more than one column.
- Output Value Field: Select a column from the R data stream that contains replacement data. The column can contain static values or expressions that act on the data from the D data stream.
- Values are Expressions/Formulas: Select if the column selected for Output Value Field contains expressions to have the expression act on the data from the D data stream.
Field Type Handling
Because this tool replaces column values, the column's data type may need to be updated.
- Autofield Field Types: Designer sets the data type to accommodate all contained data.
- Keep Original Field Types: The original field type is maintained. If the field type is incompatible for the replacement data, an error or conversion error occurs.
- Change Field Types to: Manually set the field type and size. If the field type is incompatible for the replacement data, an error or conversion error occurs.
- Type: Use the dropdown to pick the desired field type.
- Size: Type the numeric value for the field size. The size parameter is ignored if the data type does not require a size, such as a spatial object.
- Warn/Error on Unmatched Data Fields: Select the intended behavior for unmatched data. Choices include:
- Allow unmatched data fields: Unmatched data fields are replaced with [Null] values. No message is reported in the Results window.
- Warn on unmatched data fields: Unmatched data fields are replaced with [Null] values. A Warning message is reported in the Results window for each unmatched field.
- Error on unmatched data fields: An error is thrown for the first unmatched data field and the workflow run stops.
- O anchor: The Output data stream containing replacement data.
- S anchor: The Summary of replacements, including counts of each replaced field name and output value combinations.