Report Text Tool
One Tool Example
Report Text has a One Tool Example. Go to Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Report Text to create a text element to output in a report via the Render tool. The Report Text tool can use incoming data as values for the text and provides a variety of options for styling the text.
Configure the Tool
Text Mode: Select the desired text mode.
- Create new field for this text: Creates a new column for the text report element. Specify the Field Name for the element to make it easy to choose it in other reporting tools.
- Attach text to existing field: Attaches the text element above, below, to the left, or to the right of another incoming report element so that the two elements become one.
- Expert Mode: Treat text as Raw PCXML: Paste or write custom PCXML code. When this option is selected, text style options are not available. Select Validate PCXML to display an error message if there are any syntax errors in the custom PCXML code.
If your custom PCXML code includes HTML code that you plan to output verbatim via the Render tool, wrap the code in the
tag. This tag should be used in cases when the body of the tag must not be parsed, and must be copied as is to HTML output only. This is typically used to render iframes, map embeds, interactive charts, etc. These objects can't be exported to Excel, Word, and other non-HTML file formats. As a result, the
<htmlpassthrough>tag is not compatible with non-HTML outputs from the Render tool.
Text Data: Use the text editor toolbar buttons to style the text. Text editor options include:
- : Makes the text bold.
- : Makes the text italicized.
- : Makes the text underlined.
- : Inserts a .png, .jpeg, or .gif image file.
- : Inserts a hyperlink.
- Text To Display: Enter the text to display as the link or select data from Insert Field.
- Address: Enter the location of the content to link to, or select data from Insert Field. Web addresses must include the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP). For example http://www.alteryx.com/ instead of www.alteryx.com. If you include a web address without the HTTP, Designer automatically inserts the HTTP portion of the link for you.
- : Provides fonts, font styles, and sizes.
- : Provides color options for the text.
- : Provides color options for the background of the text.
- : Aligns the text on the left.
- : Centers the text.
- : Aligns the text on the right.
- Available Fields: Displays the data (except spatial) from the previously connected tool that can be used as text.
- Special Tags: Provides a list of formatting and style options for the text.
- Horizontal Line: Adds a horizontal line below the text.
- Current Page: Adds the current page number of the report. Use this when creating a Header or Footer.
- Total Pages: Adds the total number of pages in the report. Use this when creating a Header or Footer.
- Page Break: Adds a new page for subsequent reporting elements. The page break is ignored when the Report Text tool is connected to...
- Superscript Selection: Makes the selected text appear above the regular text.
- Subscript Selection: Makes the selected text appear below the regular text.