Last modified: May 17, 2023
One Tool Example
Buffer has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Buffer to take any polygon or polyline spatial object and expand or contract its extents by a user-specified value.
This image shows a positive buffer of 1 mile and a negative buffer of -1 mile.
Configure the Tool
- Specify the Spatial Field that contains the spatial object to be buffered.
- Include in Output: The user can choose whether or not to include the original spatial object in the output stream. The default is unchecked so the object is not included.
- Generalize to 1% of Buffer size: Selected by default. This optimizes speed by cutting down the number of nodes in the buffered object.
- Set the BufferSize parameters.
- Specific Value: Input a numerical value and all records are buffered to this size
- From Field: Select a numerical field in the connection stream and each record is buffered by the value of that field.
- Units: Choose to buffer the object in units of Miles or Kilometers.