Create Samples Tool
Last modified: May 17, 2023
One Tool Example
Create Samples has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Create Samples to split the input records into 2 or 3 random samples. In the tool, you specify the percentage of records that are in the estimation and validation samples. If the total is less than 100%, the remaining records fall in the holdout sample.
Configure the Tool
- Estimation sample percent: The percentage of the data to place in the estimation sample (between 1% and 99%).
- Validation sample percent: The percentage of the data to place in the validation sample (between 1% and 99%).
- Random seed: An integer value between 1 and 1000. Changing this value will alter the sample that an individual row of the data is placed in. Unless there is a specific reason to change this value, the default value of 1 is the recommended choice.
View the Output
There are 3 outputs from the Create Samples tool:
- E anchor: The Estimation output stream will contain a random sample of input records. The count of records in this stream is equal to the percent of total records specified in the Estimation property above.
- V anchor: The Validation stream will contain a random sample of input records. The count of records in this stream is equal to the percent of total records specified in the Validation sample property above.
- H anchor: The Holdout stream includes any leftover records that were not placed in either the Estimation or Validation samples.
If there is an odd number of records and Estimation and Validation are both set to 50%, the Estimation output stream has one more record than the Validation stream.