Zip File Support
Alteryx Tools Used to Connect
Use the Input Data tool to select 1 or more data files stored within a .zip file. These file formats can be read from a .zip file:
- Streaming-compatible (read directly into memory): .avro, .csv, .json, .yxdb
- Not streaming-compatible (extracted to hard drive temporary location): .cydb, .dbf, .kml, .grc, .grd, .qvx, .sas7bdat, .sav, .sz, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xlsx (legacy), .xls, .xml
- If the files being extracted exceed 2 GB, select the Allow Extraction of Files > 2GB from the Input Data tool's Configuration pane.
- Zip files are not supported in Alteryx Gallery.
When you use a tool to connect to a .zip file, the Extract File window opens.
- Select File Type to Extract: Alteryx scans all files within the .zip file and generates a list of discovered formats. Select the format for Alteryx to display in the Files list.
Select Other Files to show a list of all files found within the .zip file, including files with no extension or an unrecognized extension (for example, .txt, .log). Parse Other Files As: Specify the format for Alteryx to use to parse the selected files.
- Select Files: Select 1 or more files to bring in to Alteryx.
Select Multiple Files
You can select multiple files, but Alteryx can only parse the files in a single format. When you select multiple files, Alteryx uses the first file to determine the schema (number of fields, data types, etc.). For subsequent files, Alteryx performs this validation:
- If the number of fields is not equal, the file is skipped and a warning is generated. If equal, the next check is performed.
- If the data types are not equal, the file is skipped and a warning is generated. If equal, the next check is performed.
- If the field names are not equal, the file will still be read, but a warning is generated.
- Select Open.
- Select Sheets from Excel Files: If you selected Excel files, select the sheets for Alteryx to read, and then select OK.
- To preview a file in a .zip file, select Update Sample in the Configuration window. The preview only displays if the .zip file contains a single .xlsx file with a single sheet.
Syntax for Analytic Apps and Macros (Advanced)
Use this syntax to configure analytic apps or macros to select multiple files from a .zip file:
- Separate files with a semicolon (;).
- Enclose sheet names in square brackets ([ ]).
- Separate multiple sheets with a colon (:).