Alteryx Server and Server-FIPS: Feature Differences
The Alteryx Server version 2023.1 offers separate GA and FIPS 140-2 capable products. Please note that these standards are developed by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for use by US government agencies and contractors. For more information about FIPS, go to the NIST FIPS FAQ page.
The general (non-FIPS) release version of Alteryx Server is not capable of FIPS operation. A separate release (and installer) is available under separate license terms, for our FIPS 140-2 customers. Contact your Alteryx Sales Representative for more details.
Server-FIPS 2023.1 has a few features that are not available or limited in function when compared to the non-FIPS Server releases. See the list below for reference. We plan to make many of these features available again in future Server-FIPS releases.
Alteryx Server-FIPS empowers you to easily govern your workflow processes, schedule workflows, and scale analytics across the entire organization with centrally managed security and sharing. You have access to many of the great features typically available in Server, with some limitations that we’ve noted on this page.
Alteryx Server-FIPS: Excluded Features
These features are not available as part of Alteryx Server-FIPS:
- MongoDB: MongoDB Community is not FIPS compliant, therefore it is not embedded in Server-FIPS. You need the user-managed Mongo DB Atlas or MongoDB Enterprise Advanced. Accordingly, we removed the Community Mongo from the System Settings. For more information about MongoDB, go to the MongoDB Management help page.
- Legacy Server OAuth1 API endpoints: Starting with 22.1, the OAuth1 API endpoints have been removed as they require SHA1 hashing which is not FIPS compliant. These endpoints have been removed from both FIPS and non-FIPS versions due to their obsolescence, and are now replaced with the OAuth2 API endpoints. For more information about the removal of OAuth1 endpoints, visit the OAuth1 to Oauth2 Instructions help page.
- Insights: Insights have been removed from the FIPS capable version of Server.
- Data Connections: We removed the legacy Server Data Connections. You can use the Data Connection Manager (DCM) functionality instead. The DCM Enforced mode is enabled and can't be changed in the FIPS capable version of Server. DCM benefits include securely stored user credentials for data connections outside the workflow, increased security, improved password credential manageability, and synchronization of credentials between Server and Designer. Visit the DCM - Server help page for more information.
- Telemetry: Server statistics telemetry has been removed for the FIPS capable version of Server.
- Save a workflow functionality: Save a workflow to Server-FIPS is now available from Designer-FIPS. Note that the Lock Workflow feature is not available in Designer-FIPS and thus is not an option via the Save Workflow modal.