Load Metadata from a SQL Server Database
Use the SQL Server Loader to upload metadata to Alteryx Connect for a specified SQL Server database or Azure SQL DWH.
The Alteryx Connect Loaders must be installed on the machine where Alteryx Server is installed. To install the loaders:
- Download the loaders installer. For compatibility, the Loaders installer version must match the Alteryx Connect version.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
- The SQL Server user account requires elevated permissions to access system tables. You can use the following query:
GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO <<username>>
- SQL Server Native Client 11.0 driver is required. To install the SQL Server driver using Alteryx Designer, open Designer and go to Options > Advanced Options > Manage Data Connections > Add Connection > Microsoft SQL Server.
- If a driver for connecting to SQL Server is installed, the SQL Server Database Connection window opens. You can optionally create a connection to test your database credentials and network connectivity.
- If the SQL Server Native Client driver is not installed, you are provided a link to install it.
- For more information, see Manage Data Connections Window in the Alteryx Designer Help.
- Open Alteryx Designer.
- Click Help > Sample Workflows > Alteryx Connect Metadata Loaders > MSSQL Loader > MSSQL Loader.
- Click Run as Analytic App .
- In the SQL server tab:
- In Connection parameters, type the SQL Server IP address or hostname.
- Specify an Instance type.
- Choose a TCP port parameter.
- Choose an Authentication method. For SQL Server Authentication, type your SQL Server credentials.
- In Objects to load, optionally specify comma-separated lists of catalogs and schemas. Leave blank to load all catalogs and schemas.
In the Alteryx Connect tab, type the URL for your Alteryx Connect instance and your credentials.https://yourcompany.alteryxconnect.com
Before running the app, click and save the app configuration to the following directory:C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\AlteryxConnect\SQLServer_Loader\
The .yxwv app values file is used for scheduling the loader to run in the Gallery. See Schedule Metadata Loaders.
- Click Finish to run the app.
- If the run succeeds, "Success" appears in the App Results window.
- If the run fails, a "There were Errors" message appears.
Depending on how much metadata is being imported, the app can take a long time to run.
- Go to the Alteryx Connect URL and log in.
- From the main menu, click Data Sources > Databases.
- Select a folder to view its contents.