Load Metadata from Tableau Server
Use the Tableau Loader to upload metadata to Alteryx Connect for Tableau reports located in a specified Tableau server. Tableau Online is not currently supported.
The Alteryx Connect Loaders must be installed on the machine where Alteryx Server is installed. To install the loaders:
- Download the loaders installer. For compatibility, the Loaders installer version must match the Alteryx Connect version.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
- Obtain the Tableau web URL (for example, http://tableau.mycompany.com:8000), username, and password.
- Ensure that the Tableau REST API (v2.5 with Tableau Server 10.2 or later) is enabled. The REST API is enabled by default.
SSO and Tableau
When the Tableau REST API is enabled, you cannot use SAML single sign-on (SSO) credentials while the Tableau Loader app is running, even if the Tableau server is configured to use SAML. You must specify the user name and password of a user configured on the Tableau server. The Loader has access to Tableau report metadata based on the permissions of the user you specify.
- To obtain metadata about workbook users, Tableau permissions must be set to administrator or site administrator.
- Open Alteryx Designer.
- Click Help > Sample Workflows > Alteryx Connect Metadata Loaders > Tableau Loader > Tableau Loader.
- Click Run as Analytic App .
In the Tableau server tab, type the Tableau connection information.
In the Alteryx Connect tab, type the URL for your Alteryx Connect instance and your credentials.https://yourcompany.alteryxconnect.com
Before running the app, click and save the app configuration to the following directory:C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\AlteryxConnect\Tableau_Loader\
The .yxwv app values file is used for scheduling the loader to run in the Gallery. See Schedule Metadata Loaders.
- Click Finish to run the app.
- If the run succeeds, "Success" appears in the App Results window.
- If the run fails, a "There were Errors" message appears.
Depending on how much metadata is being imported, the app can take a long time to run.
- Go to the Alteryx Connect URL and log in.
- From the main menu, click Reports > Tableau.
- Select a folder to view its contents.