Text To Columns Tool
The Text To Columns tool takes the text in one column and splits the string value into separate, multiple columns (or rows), based on a single or multiple delimiter(s).
Configure the tool
- Select the Column to split.
Delimiters: Enter the delimiter (s) to use to split the data on. Each character is treated independently, meaning you cannot delimit on a word. To split data on a word, use the RegEx Tool. You can use individual characters or the white space characters from the table below.
Tab \t New line \n Space \s Space or tab \s\t
- Choose your method for splitting:
- Split to columns: Split a single column of data at each instance of the specified delimiter into multiple columns.
- Number of columns: Set how many columns are created.
- Extra characters: Select the behavior that is applied to extra columns.
- Leave extra in last column: Data that extends past the split is appended to the value in the last column.
- Drop extra with warning: Data that extends past the split is dropped and a warning is generated indicating that there was excess information.
- Drop extra without warning: Data that extends past the split is dropped and no warning is generated.
- Error: Data the extends past the split causes an error and the workflow stops processing.
- Output root name: Enter the name for the newly generated columns to be based off of. The new columns are named as the root name with a serially increasing integer appended.
- Split to rows: Split a single column of data at each instance of the specified delimiter into multiple rows. Use a key column in your record so you don't lose track of which value came from which row.
Advanced Options: Select delimiters to ignore. Options include:
- Ignore delimiters in quotes
- Ignore delimiters in single quotes
- Ignore delimiters in parentheses
- Ignore delimiters in brackets
- Skip empty columns