Quick Start Guide
Connect gives knowledge workers the power to discover and understand data assets relevant to their business. It is a social data exploration platform with a single point of entry into the world of data. Follow these steps to find, view, and contribute to your organization's data.
Before the installation, see System Requirements and Installation Documentation. A simple installation and configuration wizard will help you get Connect in place fast and easy.
Alteryx Connect installer by default installs with a 30 day trial license.
You can add a license at any time during the trial period. For more information about Connect licensing see License Connect.
Make sure you have the server name and SMTP credentials ready, and also decide if you want to configure SSO with WinAuth for user management. If so, ensure the server is logged in the domain in OS.
For more information about how to install Connect, see Install Connect.
Start with the SSL configuration. Connect will prompt you for initial configuration values on a configuration page Admin Console > Connect Configuration.
The sections are:
- Admin Password: Set the default administrator’s password.
- H2 Password: Set the password for the H2 database.
- Instance Settings: Specify the base URL to access the site. This may be the machine name or an DNS name. Also, instance settings allow you to set up SSO.
- SMTP Settings: Set the SMTP Server name, protocol (SSL/TLS), default email to send mail as, and credentials to the SMTP server if required.
- Make sure the admin does not forget the admin and h2 database passwords.
- The admin password must meet minimum requirements. The password must contain at least one character from each of the following categories: uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, and special character (only Latin symbols). Minimum length of a password is 8 characters.
See Install Connect for more information about Connect configuration.
Create user accounts for those who need access to read, contribute to, and administer asset metadata. Users can be viewed in the People folder. You can assign a user to a specific permissions group and add a user to various groups.
Users can be created by an admin, or they can be allowed to register themselves.
More information about user’s permissions, group membership, how to create a new user and how to allow users to self-register can be found on the page Administer Users.
To load metadata to Connect, you have two options. Either you can run the loaders in Designer and load metadata to Connect from there (see Load Metadata), or you can use the Fast deployment option. When you use Fast deployment, the metadata loaders are used and configured directly in Connect.
Use the Fast Deployment of Metadata Loaders
Loaders in Connect can be configured and used directly. However, for the actual execution of the loaders, a Gallery with connectivity back to Connect is needed. See Fast Deployment of Metadata Loaders in Online help or the Community article How To: Fast Deployment of Metadata Loaders in Connect for more information.
Most Popular Ways to Use Connect
Search and Discover
There are many ways to search within Alteryx Connect. You can search for assets from any page using the Search bar, or use the Advanced Search page for a full text search. For more information, see Search for Data.
Explore Metadata Details and Lineage
There are six asset types: Analytic Workflows, Reports, Data Sources, Glossary, People, and Virtual Folders. For more information about the asset types and their details see Understand Assets.
All relationships, including data lineage, can be viewed using Nexus, which provides an interactive graphical view of connectedness and dependencies. Already loaded lineage can be enhanced by adding relationships manually in Alteryx Connect. To view more information how to maintain data lineage visit the Maintain Data Lineage page.
- Workflows and Data Sources: You can use certain assets in an Alteryx Designer workflow. On an asset page, select Use in Workflow to download the workflow or a new workflow containing the data source. Open the downloaded workflow in Designer. To learn about using the asset within Designer, see Use Connect Assets.
- Reports: You can access and view certain reports directly on their reporting server. Select Open on an asset page. You will be redirected to the report.
Assessing a Data Asset and Sharing Your Knowledge
You can share your knowledge with others by adding details to data assets. You can also share data assets, give them a like or a dislike, and certify or decertify them.
- Annotate: You can update a data asset by adding details such as description, alternative names, and related terms. You can also assign tags or add owners.
- Share with Others: You can share an asset with others. On an asset page, select Share, then select a Recipient to request access from, enter a brief Message, and select Share. An email containing the message will be sent to the selected recipients.
- Like/Dislike: On an asset page, use Like or Dislike button to give it a rating.
- Certify/Decertify: If you are a member of the Certifiers group, you can tag assets to indicate to other users that these assets are approved by a trusted authority. On an asset page, select the Action drop-down arrow and select Certify or Decertify.