Last modified: May 11, 2020
Use the Buffer tool to take any polygon or polyline spatial object and expand or contract its extents by a user-specified value.
This image shows a positive buffer of 1 mile and a negative buffer of -1 mile.
Configure the Tool
- Specify the Spatial Field that contains the spatial object to be buffered.
- Include in Output: User can choose whether or not to include the original spatial object in the output stream. The default is unchecked so the object is not included.
- Generalize to 1% of Buffer size: Selected by default. This optimizes speed by cutting down the number of nodes in the buffered object.
- Set the BufferSize parameters.
- Specific Value: Input a numerical value and all records are buffered to this size
- From Field: Select a numerical field in the connection stream and each record is buffered by the value of that field.
- Units: Choose to buffer the object in units of Miles or Kilometers.