Add or remove Tools
To add a tool to a workflow, click any tool from the tool palette and drag it onto the workflow canvas, or right-click the workflow to access a menu to insert tools. See Tool Categories.
To remove a tool from a workflow, select the tool and press the Delete key.
To connect tools in a workflow, click and drag a tool from the tool palette onto the canvas near the output anchor of another tool. You can also drag the output anchor from an existing tool to the tool you just added.
Connections go in through the left side (or top) of a tool and out through right side (or bottom) of a tool. Some tools accept multiple inputs indicated by multiple input anchors . Some tools have optional inputs indicated by a gray input anchor. All tools with an output anchor can be outputted to multiple streams.
Select a tool to display the incoming and outgoing connector indicators. The connector input to a tool displays in green. The connector output from a tool displays in blue.
Select the connection and press Delete. Downstream tools are not deleted.
- Right-click the connection and click Insert in Connection, then select a tool.
- Drag a tool from the tool palette or anywhere on the canvas and hover over an existing connection.
- Right-click the output anchor and click Insert After, then select a tool.
You can view a list of possible tool connections and make multiple connections at the same time. For example, this is useful for connecting multiple data inputs to a single downstream tool. To make multiple connections:
Make multiple connections
- Select a tool on the canvas. If the tool accepts both an input and output, specifically select the input anchor or output anchor of the tool to determine the list of possible connections to or from that anchor.
- Right-click the selected anchor and click View Possible Connections.
- In the Possible Connections window, select one or more tools from the Output Connections list to connect to one or more tools from the Input Connections list.
- Under Connection Type, select whether to make the connection Wired or Wireless.
- Click Connect.
If you view possible connections for multiple selected tools, only valid connections from output to input anchors are shown.
Double-click any connection to view and modify its properties in the Configuration window:
- Name: Type a name for the connection.
- Wireless: Select to set a connection to wireless.
- Fields: In the table, view data going through the connection.
For wireless connections, a wireless connection icon with colored bars indicates the number of connection coming into or out of an anchor: one bar = one connection; two bars = two connections; three bars = three or more connections. The connection becomes invisible unless the tool is selected.
Copy and Paste
To control where an item pastes onto the canvas, select the item, copy it (Ctrl + C), click where you want to paste the item, and then paste it (Ctrl + V). Alteryx pastes the item at the same point as the cursor.
Alteryx Designer prompts you to save unsaved workflows when you have more one or more unsaved workflow and you attempt to exit the application. Designer displays Save changes to the following workflows? and provides the following options:
- Save Selected: Select the workflows you want to save and then click Save Selected. Designer saves the selected workflows and closes. Any workflows you do not select are not saved.
- Discard Changes: Click Discard Changes to discard all changes and exit without saving.
- Cancel: Click Cancel to return to the canvas.