When designing an Analytic App or Macro workflow, the developer can run a test that will simulate the user experience. This is a handy feature that aids in troubleshooting an Analytic App or Macro workflow. When the test is run, a Debug workflow is created and opens in a new tab in the current Alteryx session.
Create a debug workflow
To test the App or Macro, follow these steps:
- Open the Interface Designer window (Ctrl+Alt+D or accessed from the View menu).
- Click the test icon to view the Test options.
The Debug workflow will look a lot like the original design workflow, but will only include the selections specified in the test. This is very useful in ensuring Detours are set properly, selections are properly updated, and other actions are executing as expected. Additionally, a text box will be at the top of the workflow canvas containing the Analytic App values and actions log.
Configure the debug workflow
Because the Debug workflow is a temporary workflow, slight modifications may need to be applied to ensure it is functional:
- Input and Output paths: If relative paths are used in the original workflow, these will need to be made absolute or the Debug workflow will need to be saved relative to the data.
- Browse tools: Browse tools from the original workflow will not appear in the Debug workflow. These need to be added manually.
- Annotations: Annotations reflect the initial design, not the updated tool configurations. For example, say you are updating a filter in your Analytic App. The original design is
[Value] >50and the design workflow displays this expression in an annotation with the Filter tool. The user answers a question to specify this value, so the filter tool is updated in the Debug workflow to
[Value] >75, yet the annotation in the Debug workflow is still the original annotation. Therefore you must verify the update has taken place by clicking on the Filter tool to view its configuration.
- Running the workflow: The debug workflow that is created has not been run yet, therefore you may need to make some adjustments suggested above and run the workflow.