Formula In-DB Tool
Use the Formula In-DB tool to create or update fields in an In-DB data stream with an expression using the native language of the database, like SQL. Use the Formula In-DB tool to modify data within a database based on an expression or data relationship.
In-Database enables blending and analysis against large sets of data without moving the data out of a database and can provide significant performance improvements over traditional analysis methods. For more about the In-Database tool category, see In-Database Overview.
While most In-DB tools do not require SQL commands, this tool requires SQL for more advanced processing.
Configure the Tool
- Output Field: This is the field the formula will be applied to. Choose a field listed in the dropdown or add a new field.
- Type: Select the appropriate Data Type of the new field. If an existing field is selected, the Type is for reference only.
- Expression: The expression box is for reference only. It populates with the expression built-in SQL Expression. The formulas constructed here are embedded within a SELECT statement.
- Navigation buttons: Use the up or down arrows to set the order of formula execution. Select the "-" button to delete the selected formula.
SQL Expression: Build the expression to be applied to the specified field.
Use the Insert Fields dropdown to pick from available fields to construct your formula. Select a field name to add it to the expression field, or write a custom expression. The expression will be added to the Expression field at the top as it is being written.
A SELECT command is not required to write a CASE statement in the In-DB Formula tool. You can use the expression: CASE WHEN [FIELDNAME] = 'condition' THEN 'calculation'...END
- Insert Fields: A list of available columns that can be inserted in the SQL Expression editor.
- Validate expression here at runtime: Provides information about errors contained in the expression.
- When checked, a query is sent to the database and any errors are reported in the Messages display for the tool.
- When unchecked, the query is not sent until the In-Database workflow is complete and any errors are reported in the Messages display in any downstream tools