Last modified: May 11, 2020
Use the Generalize tool to decrease the number of nodes that make up a polygon or polyline, making a simpler rendition of the original spatial object. Polygons are generalized using the Ramer-Douglas-Peucker algorithm.
Configure the Tool
- Specify the Spatial Field that contains the spatial object to be generalized.
- Include in Output: Choose whether or not to include the original spatial object in the output stream. The default is unchecked so the object is not included.
- Specify the Threshold, default is 0.1. Every node on the original line is within this specified threshold of the generalized line.
- Specify the Units of the threshold, default is Miles.
- Preserve Consistency for Entire Layer: Selected by default. Line segments that are shared by multiple objects are generalized at once, ensuring no gaps or overlaps occur between those objects.