Use Image Template to create PDF templates using annotations.
The content on this page is available in all supported languages via the language toggle on the top-right of the page.
The Image Template tool has one anchor. Use the anchor to output PDF annotations downstream.
Configure the Tool
- Add an Image Template tool to the canvas.
- Select Open PDF to open File Explorer, which you can use to browse and find a PDF. (You don't have to run the workflow. The PDF loads automatically.)
- Go to the pages you want to annotate using the arrow icons, or enter a specific page number in the text field.
- Drag anywhere on the PDF to create an annotation. Enter the annotation in the field. Use the dropdown to select whether you want to save the annotation as a string or an image. Save the annotation in Designer.
- To export the annotation outside Designer, select Annotations > Export and then choose a location. The annotations are exported separate from the PDF as a JSON file.
- To load annotations, select Annotations > Import and then choose annotations you've already saved as a JSON file.
- Run the workflow to pass the PDF annotations downstream.
The Image Template tool outputs PDF annotations in JSON format.