Join In-DB Tool
Use the Join In-DB tool to combine two In-DB data streams based on common fields via an outer or inner join. Use this tool to blend two database tables.
In-Database enables blending and analysis against large sets of data without moving the data out of a database and can provide significant performance improvements over traditional analysis methods. For more about the In-Database tool category, see In-Database Overview.
Configure the Tool
- Each Input has a dropdown list of its fields. Select the Join Fields for each input using the Left and Right dropdowns. Designer automatically selects a join field from an input if the same field name is already selected from a different input.
- If multiple join fields are desired, an additional row of join fields can be configured. Select the dropdown to choose additional join field per input.
- To delete a join field, select on the number on the left-hand side and select the delete button on the right. The Join tool restricts what field types can be joined together. Mismatching data types can result in error messages.
Possible Error Messages
- String fields can only be joined to other string fields.
- Numeric fields can only be joined to other numeric fields.
- Boolean fields can only be joined to other boolean fields.
- DateTime fields types can only be joined to their exact type.
- Spatial fields cannot be joined; use the Spatial Match Tool instead.
- Blob fields cannot be joined to any other type.
- Warning: Joins on Double or Float are not recommended due to rounding error.
- Select the Join Type:
Inner Join Contains only the records from the Left input that joined to records in the Right input. Left Outer Join Contains all records from the Left input including the records that joined with the Right input. Right Outer Join Contains all records from the Right input including the records that joined with the Left input. Full Outer Join Contains all records from both the Left and Right inputs.