Multi-Field Binning Tool
Use Multi-Field Binning to replicate some of the functionality of the Tile tool–additional features allow the data to be binned on multiple fields. Built primarily for the predictive toolset, Multi-Field Binning only accepts numeric fields for binning. Fields can be binned on either equal records or equal intervals.
If a workflow made before version 9.1 of uses this tool, the workflow may break when used in later versions because this tool now outputs an Int64 column instead of a String to improve the sorting behavior.
There are multiple versions of the Multi-Field Binning tool. To use a previous version of the tool, right-click on the tool and select the version from the Choose Tool Version option.
Configure the Tool
Select the Multi-Field Binning tool on your canvas to access the tool Configuration panel.
- In Select fields for binning..., use the check boxes to choose the fields for binning (only numeric fields are shown).
If too many records have the same group value, a tile is skipped.
- Choose the tile method you are going to use for binning. The options are:
- Equal Records: Input records are divided into the specified number of bins. Each bin is assigned the same number of records. This is based solely on the record's position in the input file.
- Equal Intervals: The minimum and maximum values of the selected fields are determined. The range is split into equal-sized sub-ranges. Records are assigned to bins based on these ranges
- Edit the Number of Tiles (max of 1,000) counter to specify how many bins you want to create.
View the Output
Output includes all fields that went into the tool and a new field for each field selected for binning. The output data stream includes all fields that went into the tool. A new field is created for each field that is selected for binning.