The Poly-Split tool splits polygon or polyline objects into their component point, line, or region objects.
This is a very specialized tool used for spatial layer development. A typical use of this tool would be to disaggregate complex regions that may contain more than one polygon, or to separate a polyline into its individual nodes.
- Choose the Spatial Field object to split from the drop down list.
- Choose from the radio buttons which type of object the split will result in. Choices are:
- Points: Splits regions into the points or nodes that make up that region. Each point becomes a record in the output.
- Regions: Splits regions into its individual component polygons. Each individual polygon becomes a record in the output.
- Detailed Regions: Splits regions into its individual component polygons and any holes in a polygon are also output as polygons.
View the output
The Poly-Split tool appends two additional fields to the data stream:
- Split_SpatialObject: This is the resulting split polygon object.
- Split_IsHole: This is a boolean field, either true or false. True indicates the Split_SpatialObject is a hole. It may be useful to add a Filter Tool after the Poly-Split with the expression not [Split_IsHole] to eliminate holes being attributed to records in the file.
This field is only output when Detailed Regions is selected.