Record ID Tool
The Record ID tool creates a new column in the data and assigns a unique identifier, that increases sequentially, for each record in the data. The Record ID tool generates unique identifiers with numeric values or string values, based on the data type you select.
Use the Record ID tool to assign a sequence to the data. Sort the data in other columns and then return the data to its original order by sorting the values in the new Record ID column.
- To Create New Column:
- In Name, type a name for the new column.
- In Starting Value, type or select the value you want to display in the first record. The Record ID tool assigns that value and then increases the value sequentially for each record.
- To set the Options for your column:
- Click Type and select a data type.
- If you select String, type or select the size of the string in Size.
Designer adds leading zeros to the record (if necessary) to equal the string size you select.
- Click Position and select a position.