Text Input Tool
One Tool Example
Text Input has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer.
Use Text Input to manually enter text to create small data files for input. This can be useful in testing and creating Lookup tables while you build your workflow.
The data input from the Text Input tool saves within the workflow, so you can share the workflow without having to provide an input data file.
Configure the Tool
- Select cells to enter data values. The tool autoconfigures data types based on the values you enter.
- To rename Field Names select a header cell and enter a new header name.
Within the Configuration window, you can perform several actions via the Options toolbar. Options include...
- Import: Browse for an existing data file or connection. The Text Input tool is limited to 10,000 total cells on import, but you can manually add more cells if needed.
- Copy: Copy selected values onto the clipboard.
- Paste: Paste values from the clipboard into a cell.
- Delete: Options include...
- All: Deletes all the data in the grid.
- Rows: Deletes the current, selected rows.
- Columns: Deletes the current, selected columns.
- Header: Deletes the entire header row.
- Insert: Options include Row, Column, and Header insertion.
Any blank cells result in NULL values.
Cell Navigation via Keyboard
- Tab key moves the cursor into cells from Left to Right.
- Shift+Tab moves the cursor into cells from Right to Left.
- Up and Down Arrow keys move the cursor into cells from row to row.
For information regarding Input, Output, Annotation, and Error Properties, visit Tool Configuration.