The Tile tool assigns a value (tile) based on ranges in the data. It does this based on the user specifying one of 5 methods.
Two fields are appended to the data. Tile number is the assigned tile of the record. Tile sequence number is the record number of the record's position within the Tile.
Tile Method: Select the range pattern used to assign tile value.
Assigns tiles to cover a range of values where each tile has the same total of the Sum field based on the sort order of the in-coming records.
Create tiles with equal total values
The total of the Sum field is as close as it can be for each tile without breaking a record.
- Number of Tiles: Specify how many groups to assign to the data.
- Sort Field (Optional): If you select a field from this drop down list, the data will be sorted on the specified field before it is assigned to a tile. If no field is specified, the records are assigned to tiles based on their in-coming sort order.
- Sum Field: Specify the field to tile by that results in ranges where the sum of this number is equally distributed across the tiles.
Input records are divided into the specified amount of tiles so that each tile is assigned the same amount of records.
Divide records equally
- Select the Number of Tiles to assign to the data.
- Don't Split Tile on Field (Optional): If you select a field from this drop down list, a tile will not be split across this field. If no field is selected, the tile # takes preference over the specified field data, thus potentially splitting groups.
- Sort Field (Optional): If you select a field from this drop down list, the data will be sorted (in descending order for numbers and ascending order for all other field types) on the specified field before it is assigned to a tile.
The number of records in the input may not be equally divisible by the number of tiles you specify. This is based solely on the record's position in the input file, unless the Sort field is specified.
Creates tiles based on the Standard Deviation of the values in the specified field. The tiles assigned indicate whether the record's value falls within the average range (=0), above the average (1) or below the average (-1), etc.
Sort records by variance from the average
The tile value represents the mean of the data range. The tile numbers explain the range directly. The range always start at -0.5 and end at +0.5:
|0||-0.5 to 0.5|
|-1||-1.5 to -0.5|
|1||0.5 to 1.5|
- Tile Field (Must be Numeric): Choose the field to tile by. This field must contain a numeric value.
- Select the naming convention applied to the output field:
Do Not Output Name Field: No additional output field name is generated.
Output Name Field: An additional descriptive output field name is appended to the output. Descriptors include: Average, Above Average, High, Extremely High, Below Average, Low, Extremely Low.
Output Verbose Name field: In addition to the descriptors mentioned above, the value range that the tile indicates is listed in parenthesis.
High (12750 to 155000)
For every unique value in a specified field or fields, a unique tile is assigned. If multiple fields are specified, a tile is assigned based on that combination of values.
Create tiles for unique values
- Unique Fields: Check the box of the field or fields to tile by.
- If the Leave Unsorted check box is left unchecked, the table is automatically sorted by the field or fields you specified for the tile.
The user can specify the cutoffs for the tiles by typing a value on a new line for each range.
Set up rules manually
- Tile Field (Must be Numeric): Select the field to tile by.
- Enter 1 or More Tile Cutoffs: Type each tile's upper limit on a new line in the box provided.
Tiles are applied in Manual mode but the records are not sorted. You must add a Sort Tool and specify the fields by which to sort by, if that is how you want the data displayed.