Debugging the CEF
While you use the Alteryx HTML GUI SDK, the interface of your tools is a Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF), which is a simple framework for embedding Chromium-based browsers in other applications. You can take advantage of the Chrome Developer Tools to debug the interface of your tool.
To enable Chrome Developer Tools...
- Enter regedit.exe in the command prompt, or search from the Start menu, to open the Registry Editor.
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx.
- Right-click the folder, point to New and select Key.
- Enter DebugGui.
- Right-click the default value and select Modify.
- Enter 1 in Value data and select OK.
- Restart Alteryx Designer.
- In the main menu, select Debug and select Show CEF Developer Tools.
The Alteryx CEF DevTools window automatically opens when you select a tool or window that uses the Chrome Embedded Framework.
Adding this registry key allows for remote debugging on port 9222, allowing CEF to be debugged from any CEF or Chrome browser window. To access the CEF remotely, go to the localhost URL oriented to the debugging port number: http://localhost:9222
When port 9222 is enabled, the temp AlteryxEngine file DevToolsActivePort is created. This file is used by Chrome and CEF to track the number of instances of Dev tools in use.