System Settings: Environment
In System Settings, on the Environment screens, select the type of configuration for the server, and the global workspace for other components to use as a root location for file storage.
On the Setup Type screen, select the components of the Alteryx Server architecture to enable on the machine. The complete Alteryx Server architecture can be enabled on a single machine, selected components can be enabled on the machine, or specific components can be enabled or disabled for a multi-machine, scaled Alteryx Server deployment.
- Designer Only: Only enables Alteryx Designer on the machine. Scheduler and Gallery functionality are not enabled or configurable.
- Designer and Scheduler Only: Enables Alteryx Designer and Scheduler on the machine. Gallery functionality will not be enabled or configurable. Select this option if you want users on the machine to build and run workflows, and schedule workflows to be run in the future.
- Complete Alteryx Server: Enables the entire Alteryx Server architecture to run on the machine. This includes Alteryx Designer, Scheduler, and Gallery. Select this option if you are running a single-machine environment and want the entire Alteryx Server functionality.
- Custom: Allows you to enable or disable specific components for the machine. Select this option for multi-machine deployments of Alteryx Server when you want different components enabled on different machines.
- Enable Controller: Enables a controller on the machine, allowing it to manage and distribute scheduled workflows to workers.
- Enable Worker: Enables a worker on the machine, allowing it to execute scheduled workflows assigned by the controller.
- Enable Gallery: Enables Gallery on the machine. If this option is enabled, the Default Gallery Administrator must be specified on the Gallery > General screen and the SMTP Server information must be specified on the Gallery > SMTP screen for email notifications
- Send Server usage data: Deselect this option to opt out of sending usage data to Alteryx. When enabled, Alteryx collects usage data each time a job is run, including manual and scheduled runs. This information is used to plan future enhancements and prioritize fixes and features. Deselecting this option does not prevent your IT department from collecting usage data. The usage data collected includes the following:
- Version of Server running the job
- Serial number of the Server installation
- Job schedule
- Job ID
- Date and time the job was run
- Errors, warnings, conversion errors, messages
On the Workspace screen, select a root location to act as the global workspace. The path is used as the base for configuration options that determine where temporary files, log files, and database files are stored. Sub-folders for the specific items can be created to use the global workspace or can be customized later to write to a different location. This path should point to a location that is safe to store large amounts of files. See Log Files.