Append Fields Tool
Docs are available before the release of Designer Cloud so you can get a sneak peek. This content might change between now and the official release.
One Tool Example
Append Fields has a One Tool Example. Visit Sample Workflows to learn how to access this and many other examples directly in Alteryx Designer Cloud.
Use Append Fields to append the columns of 1 small input (Source) to every row of another larger input (Target). The result is a Cartesian join. In a Cartesian join, every row from a table is joined to every row of another table. For example, if table A has 100 rows and table B has 1,000 rows, the Cartesian join of those 2 tables results in 100,000 rows.
The Append Fields tool accepts 2 inputs:
- T anchor (target): The larger data stream that rows are appended to.
- S anchor (source): The smaller data stream that provides the rows that are added to the Target stream.
For example, if the target input contains 16 rows with 5 data columns and the source input contains 5 rows with 3 columns, the output generated from Append Fields contains 80 rows with 8 columns.
Configure the Tool
Use the table in the configuration window to modify the incoming data stream. Each row in the table represents a column in the data.
Select, Deselect, and Reorder Columns
To include a column in data, check the box next to the column name. Uncheck the box to exclude the column.
To reorder the columns of data...
- Select and hold the reorder icon, then drag the row up or down.
- Select to highlight a row, then use the Up and Down arrows to move the rows to a new location.
The Unknown column is selected by default. It allows new columns in the data. Move the column to the location where you want a new column to be.
Modify Data Type and Size
To change the supported length (characters for string and numeric fixed decimal types) or measurement (bytes for other numeric types) of data in a column, select Size and enter a number. Size varies by data type and can be edited for fixed decimal numeric types and all string types.
Use the [data type]: Forced option to ensure a column always contains the expected data type.
Rename a Column or Add a Description
- To change the name of a column, select Rename and enter the new name.
- To add a description, select Description and enter a description.
Commas as Decimal Separators
Check the Use Commas as Decimal Separators (String/Numeric Conversions only) to use a comma (,) as a decimal separator.
Warn/Error on Too Many Rows Being Generated
Since the Append Fields tool performs a Cartesian join, you can unintentionally produce an excess of rows. You can configure warnings or errors to be reported to ensure that too many rows are not produced using the If Appended Rows Are Greater Than 16 check boxes.
- Warn (Continue Data Processing): If more than 16 rows are in the Source file (S input) a warning is reported and the workflow continues processing.
- Error (Stop Data Processing): If more than 16 rows are in the Source file (S input) an error is reported and the workflow stops processing.
- Ignore (Continue Data Processing): All rows will be appended to all rows with no error or warning.