Find Replace Tool
Use the Find Replace tool to replace or append data in a column using data from another data stream. Similar to an Excel VLOOKUP.
The Find Replace tool has two inputs:
- F anchor: The left input is the initial input table stream "F" - for "Find." This is the table you want to update with the results.
- R anchor: The right input is the lookup table "R" - for "Replace." This is the table that contains the data you want to use to replace data in (or append data to) the original input.
Configure the tool
- In Search, select the type of search that best describes the part of the column that contains the value you want to find:
- Beginning of column: Searches for the instance of the column value in the beginning of the column, meaning the entire column does not have to only contain what is being searched for.
- Any part of column: Searches for the instance of the column value in any part of the column, meaning the entire column does not have to only contain what is being searched for.
- Entire column: Searches for the instance of the column value contained within the entire column. So the instance MUST be there in its entirety to be replaced with the new value.
- Case insensitive:The tool will ignore case in the search.
- Match whole word only: The tool will only match a string if there are spaces around it or it is at the beginning or end of the column.
You can choose to replace or append data in the table using the following radio buttons:
- Replace text with value from column:
- Choose the column from the reference table (R input) to use to update the original table (F input) Find within column.
- Select Replace multiple found items (Any part of column only). This should only be used if you selected Any part of column.
- Choose this option to append a column populated with the lookup table (R input) data whenever the selected Find value from column column data is found within the selected Find within column.
- Select the column(s) to append.